Quantitative. That’s the word I kept thinking about. I understood that
budgeting has profoundly changed, and I think ‘improved’ is the proper word,
my world view and my personal habits.
When I don’t sometimes get a purchase receipt from a coffee, I noticed
a funny phenomena: I’m looking for a pen. Yup, to write down the amount
somewhere, preferably in another receipt in my wallet. I really want
to keep track of expenses.
Hunger gets bigger as you go! The initial very simple budgeting that I started
in Excel back in Jan 2014 has grown to be now a smorgasdashboard of
economic information. It produces a lot of things as output:
- a piechart that shows where money is going
- an estimate of cash at hand, on a daily basis (the cash flow calendar)
- how much money goes into a particular category (like rent, or food)
- can the savings goals be fulfilled
- how part-time jobs affect the household economy