Writing instructions for myself for the future
- write linearly
- try to complete a chapter at one temporal go – in one session
- use at least 30-60 minutes per chapter, experiment what would be a good amount of time
- Examine whether the 3-pass writing style is good (described below)
- maintain integrity of the text (yes, hard!) – experiment with tooling like Silicon Dating
- motivation: perfected writing process saves a lot of time and headache from Future you
3-pass writing style: rough> ready> stylize
- coarse definition for the what the text chapter is about
- write the final shape and produce the text for the paragraph
- stylization and typos; this is a “hygienic cycle” after which the piece is not touched ever more
What’s the Headquarters (office) problem in writing?
- The headquarters problem concept rose when I looked at the problem of the headquarters of the a fictional company, that seems to loom as a central technical writing problem in a book called Teknovelho I (2017-).
- I want to tie the events (plot) to be happening around an IT office
- however, there’s 3 different headquarters, since as the company evolves over time, grows etc., these headquarters also change place during the plot
- when finishing the text, I found myself often asking a question: Which premises are we talking about right now, in this scene?